Sunday, October 5, 2014

BOOK REVIEW

GATES OF THREAD AND STONE 

by





In the Labyrinth, we had a saying: keep silent, keep still, keep safe.

In a city of walls and secrets, where only one man is supposed to possess magic, seventeen-year-old Kai struggles to keep hidden her own secret—she can manipulate the threads of time. When Kai was eight, she was found by Reev on the riverbank, and her “brother” has taken care of her ever since. Kai doesn’t know where her ability comes from—or where she came from. All that matters is that she and Reev stay together, and maybe one day move out of the freight container they call home, away from the metal walls of the Labyrinth. Kai’s only friend is Avan, the shopkeeper’s son with the scandalous reputation that both frightens and intrigues her.

Then Reev disappears. When keeping silent and safe means losing him forever, Kai vows to do whatever it takes to find him. She will leave the only home she’s ever known and risk getting caught up in a revolution centuries in the making. But to save Reev, Kai must unravel the threads of her past and face shocking truths about her brother, her friendship with Avan, and her unique power.

I love this cover!!!


MY THOUGHTS:


I will say this, over all I enjoyed this book and I would recommend it. Below it may seem like I didn't, but Lee weave a story full of intrigue, suspense and awesome worldbuilding. You've got to check it out!

Let me start by saying, "What the drek!?" Honestly, I think it's cute when a character has a tick, but I thought that at some point I would learn the significance of this particular word. But she left me hanging. Although, I don't think it was over used, it still became quiet annoying to me(mostly because I didn't know what it meant). I goggled it after I finished and found that dreck. means rubbish.

I was anxious to read his book after a post by the authors agent on what an effective query looks like. I was intrigued, so when it showed up on Kindle Unlimited I snagged it up.

The world of Ninurta, is vivid but, no place I want to live. The sun only shines for one week out of the year, as a Floridian I would die. The world is protected by a wall that keeps out gargoyles, yes I said gargoyles. At times I felt I could smell the dampness o the Labyrinth.

The story follows Kai as she search for her brother Reev, who she believes to have been sold by his boss to the Black Rider. It's obvious the love shared between these two, the author created a relationship, that felt more than real. clearly Kai responded as I expected, she was not giving up on her brother, because he would never give up on her.

With help from her friend the handsome Avan, a boy she goes all limp around, she sets out to find Reev, and her adventure begins.

The book moves along at a moderate pace, sometimes I was a bit frustrated at not knowing where it all was leading. But, to her credit, Lee has created a fresh new world and that's great. The downside is sometimes suspense turns into nothing more than a long wait.

Kai is a good heroine, but at times I did think she needed a building to fall on her to see the obvious. Sometimes, she was strong and others a bit naive. The heat between her and Avan was steamy. I love how Lee didn't have them fall all over each other the first time the were alone together, or had an excuse to. Avan is an awesome leading guy, he's gorgeous, brave and protective. I enjoyed their relationship.

Kai has this really awesome ability, to manipulate time. I only wish that she used it more, but I guess because no one is suppose to know about her ability, suppressing it falls in line with the story. However, what good is having a power that you can't use.

After they left Ninurta, for me that's where things kinda fell flat. G-10 save this part of the book for me, I really enjoyed his character.

The end, for me was like and explosion of information, that was confusing at times. I felt I'd stayed with the book all this time waiting for the big reveal, and I'm one who loves it when the ending ties up all the loose ends, but leaves me wanting more (you too, right?). Yes, it answers some of my questions, in a sort of in your face all at once kinda way. This was the biggest disappointment in the book for me. It was just to much at once, and honestly I didn't know there was going to be a book 2 until after I finished and saw it on goodreads. The one thing I love about a series is, when each book is a complete story but leaves a  question that makes me want to read the next installment.

This book is complete, in that everything was answered. If there wasn't another installment I'd be fine with that. The one reason I would pick up book 2  is Kai and Avan's relationship. I'd like to see where it goes.

Again, these are my thoughts, this is just a small summary. Please read it for yourself and tell me what you think. Lee is truly a talented author, and I look forward to her future projects.












No comments: