Friday, October 24, 2014

BOOK REVIEW

TAKEN
by

There are no men in Claysoot. There are boys—but every one of them vanishes at midnight on his eighteenth birthday. The ground shakes, the wind howls, a blinding light descends…and he’s gone.

They call it the Heist.

Gray Weathersby’s eighteenth birthday is mere months away, and he’s prepared to meet his fate–until he finds a strange note from his mother and starts to question everything he’s been raised to accept: the Council leaders and their obvious secrets. The Heist itself. And what lies beyond the Wall that surrounds Claysoot–a structure that no one can cross and survive.

Climbing the Wall is suicide, but what comes after the Heist could be worse. Should he sit back and wait to be taken–or risk everything on the hope of the other side?



Let me start by saying this is a spoiler free review!!! I don't want to spoil one minute of this book for you. With that said let's get into it.



Two words...Gray Weathersby!

A character although a guy, I could relate to and understand. Erin has created such rich characters, each one true. I immensely enjoyed this book. Bowman created a visual world that made sense. 

From the beginning, I was intrigued, first with why there were no men in Claysoot. And then the Heist, I had so many questions. Why? what was the meaning behind it? Bowman did exactly what a master storyteller should created questions that kept me with a death grip on this book.

I couldn't turn the pages fast enough.

When Grey found the letter, I started to read a loud(because I read faster when I can hear myself..lol). If you have had the pleasure of reading this book, I know you can agree  when he read, Grey is, in fact- didn't you just wish for the power to see into the future. It took everything in me to not flip the pages in search of what in fact Grey was.  

I could feel Gray's thirst to know what was going on in his home. I was there with him in his desire for answers. The dynamics between Gray and Emma was authentic. It wasn't rushed, their desire for more was relate-able and made me love them all the more. Not for the couple they were becoming, but for how human Bowman made them.

When Gray makes it to Taem, and meets Frank and his interaction with Marco, again authentic. Easy to visualize. Gray's time in the doomed city was paced perfectly, it didn't linger making me bored. But it gave me tension and delivered answers and reactions just in time.

Bree, So easy to like, her witty comebacks were not forced and were very natural. I'm torn between her and Emma, but I won't say too much.


When the answers start following, it's like drinking a cool glass of water on a dry summer's day. On time and refreshing, not to much, to fast.

I started this book on Thursday night and finish Friday afternoon. It's a thrilling and a complete ride.  Check Erin Bowman's Taken out, I promise you won't be disappointed.

No comments: