Thursday, February 2, 2012

I can't Find the words!

I don't know what happened, but I can't find the words, the strength, or my inspiration to put words on the page. Since I have immersed myself in my writing, and learned that a true writer not only writes when she/he is inspired, but when they are serious about their craft. With that said I have come to be mindful of stating I am not inspired to write.

AHG!! I am not inspired! After my first chapter critique I was excited, but became overwhelmed by the small amount of editing. I now understand why you shouldn't get a critique before you are finished with your novel. Because you would never finish:). I loved all the suggestion my critique partner made, and was eager to make them. However all that I learned was so great, and helped me to grow as a writer. It made me look at how to write differently, which of course in essence changes how I view my narrative.

I sat down to make the changes and before I could control it I wanted to change the entire book. Of course this frustrated me, because it would be like the 5th time I have changed this story. The thought of starting over is to much for me to process, considering I do have another job, family and other things I enjoy doing.

I guess I am at the point of "what am I doing", and I have no answers.I have decided to put the book down for a couple of months, sort through some personal issues, and maybe return with a clear head. I love the story I envision, but the task of getting it out of my head and onto the paper has proven to be daunting. The Lesson here is, finish the book before getting it critiqued, proof reading or editing. I think you should just put the entire idea down on paper, before you  proof it, and second guess yourself. 5th guess, in my case.

I think I need to take my critique partners advice and come back with fresh eyes. Am I preaching to the choir? Has this happened to you? I would love to hear your views and/or experiences. Even if you are just passing by today comments are free, as well as clicking on the Join this blog link

No comments: